Here we will analyze liberal arts colleges in the USA: their features, benefits, and correlation with the modern demands of the world.
Peculiarities of Liberal Arts Colleges in the USA
A hundred years ago, when economics was aimed at industry and agriculture, for the satisfaction of the societies needs technical educational institutes were introduced. However, time has changed, and in the modern world, the processes of informatization are leading. For some student with modern thinking such as the students from the Liberal Art Colleges we recommend online essay service greatpaper.co.uk to help you finish your task. There is a high demand of people with wide outlook and ability to analyze what actually happens around. To satisfy the mentioned demand, the Liberal Arts Colleges were introduced in the USA and in the European countries.
Definition and Roots
Liberal Arts Colleges belong to the institutes of so-called “classic education.” In antique times, learning of humanities was considered to be the basis for a free person, who has an active social position. That time humanities included only 3 subjects though: grammar, rhetoric, and logic. However, even though the concept of humanitarian education appeared in Europe, today it is much more developed and widely used in the USA.
In the classification of Carnegie classification of institutes of Higher Education, Liberal arts colleges are included to Baccalaureate Colleges. The Baccalaureate Colleges offer the 4-years long education in humanities or applied sciences. After graduating, one can get a Bachelor’s degree certificate (BA or BS).
In the modern context, humanitarian education in the USA has an interdisciplinary character, covering not only humanities, but social, natural, and formal sciences as well. The aim of the liberal arts colleges is an education, where students learn how to learn; this is an education that emphasizes on formation of thinking process, but not on gathering knowledge in students’ heads. This is an education that helps in adapting to any job market, in being interested in the world around, and in being cunning enough to follow the time.
The modern education program is much wider if to compare it with the antique one. However, the main mission has remained: to prepare a globally competent person with knowledge of the wide number of subjects and having a number of skills, so that the person can become a member of the society fully.
Subjects to Study
The subjects to study include:
- Humanities: Art, Literature, Linguistics, Philosophy, Religion, Ethics, Modern Foreign Languages, Music, Theater, classic languages, etc.
- Social sciences: History, Psychology, Law, Sociology, Political Science, Gender Studies, Anthropology, Economics, Geography, Informational Technologies, etc.
- Natural Sciences: Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Botany, Archeology, Zoology, Geology, etc.
- Formal Sciences: Mathematics, Logics, Statistics, etc.
Differences Between Liberal Arts Colleges and Universities in the USA
Liberal arts colleges are usually based on the involvement of students and support a high level of cooperation between a student and a tutor. In the same time, universities are focused on the scientific research. Most of the liberal arts colleges’ workers teach full-time, and don’t combine teaching with the scientific research activities. Most of colleges are not big in their size, they have fewer students and classrooms are not that big responsively.
Benefits for the Modern Time
The growth of interest to the liberal arts colleges is accompanied by the changes in the modern system of education, as well as by the appearance of the concept of “global education.” These colleges are the best in development the global competencies. Among the benefits of such colleges we can mention:
- Offering a preparation to work in different sectors; ability to get fundamental knowledge in a wider variety of subjects in comparison to getting a degree in one certain subject.
- It helps in getting acquainted with the choice of profession: the number of subjects that are taught means that students can study subjects, which they could not have faced in other educational institutes. This helps in better decision-making on career prospects.
- It is a step towards the future career: knowledge received while studying humanities can help you switch the current profession with the new one easier.
- Diploma on humanities is attractive for the employers. A recent research claims that 74% of head managers of the USA companies recommend getting a humanitarian education. They admit that such students have the necessary professional sills to adapt to the conditions of the modern market.
- It prepares a good basis for PhD level getting. The potential PhD will have a possibility to carry out research on different fields.
- It develops skills which help in becoming a valuable member of society. Humanities go beyond the frames of the scientific community and thus aids in adaptation and reaching success in the real modern world.
So, liberal arts colleges are the best options for those, who want to follow the time and reach success in the modern world.